Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Redneck Ranger, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Redneck Ranger

Redneck Ranger Rollin' in a Ranger

Well, just bought a new rod tonight since the tip snapped off my old one last year. I got the Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 from Dick's SG. Anyone ever use one of these rods? Just curious as to how it handles trout, bass, pike, perch, etc... It's the 6' rod and reel combo for $50. I like it a lot so far lol
  2. Avatar

TackleBox.com Sign Up!

Join TackleBox.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Do you like fishing? If so we invite you to join TackleBox.com
    Once you join you’ll be able to exchange tips with thousands of other fishermen, post photos of your catches, and get to know other fishermen in your area.
    So, what are you waiting for? It doesn’t matter if you’re new to fishing or an old pro, TackleBox.com is a friendly community full of helpful people. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TackleBox.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. bassfishin077

bassfishin077 New Member

It's a beast but not sensitive at all
  4. Redneck Ranger

Yeah, I noticed that. I think it's because of the solid fiberglass tip on it.
  5. nraver6

nraver6 New Member

Hard to beat an Ugly Stick.
  6. riverbream62

riverbream62 New Member

I used the ugly stick on massive fish caught my flathead on the Shakespeare sureley u could catch fish fish like a bass or trout or something but I agree it's not all that sensitive Good luck mate any tips on fishing just ask me
  7. Redneck Ranger

Well, it handled a couple bluegill nicely. Hahaha. I noticed it likes to bend a lot, even on a tiny fish like that. Just my imagination or what?
  8. MUSKYSCHULTZ

MUSKYSCHULTZ New Member

Ugly Sticks are awesome. I use the Catfish Combos.
  9. hick92

hick92 Member

Well they are really flexible but super tough rods I had a 7 ft one doubled over and didn't even get a crack from it
  10. porkchop17

porkchop17 Member

Close to impossible to break. Caught bream to 10 lb bass on them. I have NO problem about being careful with them
  11. Catfish , one word :p
  12. colinorleans

colinorleans Member

My grandpa is redneck at its fines he has a ugly stik And he likes to bend his I a full circle before he goes fishing and he has never bought another pole every since
  13. colinorleans

colinorleans Member

And there is no cracks in the fiberglass
  14. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 Super Moderator

If a fishing pole can live with me for 4+ years... Its a good pole lol... I've not had one issue out of any of my ugly sticks...

Well i take that back.... I dropped the anchor(BIG river anchor probably weights 40lbs lol) on one and it crushed the eye.. But i straightened it back out.
  15. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Member

i've got an old ugly stik and it is a pretty great fishing pole. found it in the trunk of a '66 pontiac my dad bought years ago, it's a 6'6" medium action "SP1100" from the late 70's as far as i can tell. been through lots of abuse but not one crack or defect anywhere. i would use it more but it's pretty big and clumsy for me.
    bobkyle2 likes this.
  16. Now that's a story
  17. hoyt

hoyt New Member

always loved Ugly Stik
    bobkyle2 likes this.