How Long does fishing line last?

Discussion in 'General Fishing Discussion' started by 93Cobra2771, May 13, 2011.

1. 93Cobra2771

93Cobra2771 New Member

My kids are interested in fishing, so I pulled out my old rods. Line still seams ok, but I'm guessing I need to replace the line. What's a good rule of thumb for lifespan?
  2. Avatar

TackleBox.com Sign Up!

Join TackleBox.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Do you like fishing? If so we invite you to join TackleBox.com
    Once you join you’ll be able to exchange tips with thousands of other fishermen, post photos of your catches, and get to know other fishermen in your area.
    So, what are you waiting for? It doesn’t matter if you’re new to fishing or an old pro, TackleBox.com is a friendly community full of helpful people. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TackleBox.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Kids on the Line

Kids on the Line Founding Angler

All depends on how much you fish, where you fish and the water. It revolves around water conditions, rocks, trees, banking and underwater obstructions.
  4. AFSOCSGT

AFSOCSGT Just one more.

Line is also effected by UV rays, they make the line brittle.
  5. BrianDuckworth

BrianDuckworth New Member

alot of factors as previously posted, personally my line gets changed about every 2 months but that is alot of fishing on heavy structure,docks,rocks,brush
  6. Mlarv5

Mlarv5 New Member

If in doubt whip it out. Really if it is older then two or three years and has not been used I would replace it, it is just cheap insurance not to lose a fish because of something stupid:yes:
  7. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 Redfish junkie

I've had better longevity out of some brands. I can leave powerpro or braided stren on for years without a problem. If I leave spiderwire on the reel for more than a month it gets brittle.
  8. red1994ford

red1994ford Sharkbait

It depends on how long they've been sittin, and what weight is on em.

Personally, I would replace it, given I have probably 2000 combined yds of 8 and 10 lb line in the closet!

But its great that your kids are interested in fishin! How old are they? Im 17 and can remember goin to the pond or lagoon with my dad when i was like 4!
  9. Old_Skl_Castr

Old_Skl_Castr Formerly Old Skl Raptr

i would replace braid every year. mono last a little longer
  10. Bassintheweeds

Bassintheweeds New Member

I replace mono every 2 months cause I can :) and I love the look of new line on the reel. That and I fish heavy structure.
  11. Old_Skl_Castr

hahaha. just because you can lol!!
  12. Bassintheweeds

Yep:) it also doesn't last long in the heat in the garage in AZ.
  13. Old_Skl_Castr

true that. i dont use mono under 80lb on my saltwater rods. everything is braid for me lol
  14. Sid404

Sid404 New Member

I replace mine every six months
  15. Hunting080189

Hunting080189 New Member

My dad owns a charter boat that he runs on the weekends out of nj and it seems that any longer then 2 years with mono it becomes brittle and takes a set and it currly when you pull it off the reel. If your rods been sitting for a while I would deffenitly change it for the price of mono it's best to change it so you dont have any problems. Nick
  16. jaden

jaden New Member

I replace mine ever 5 months
  17. crawford714

crawford714 New Member

I replace mine at the beginning of every season. But I would pull on it and if it doesn't break before the rid almost does you're good. It's not like your fishing a big tournament.
  18. eclark53520

eclark53520 New Member

I replace mine every season...

I fish spider-wire almost exclusively and have never had it get brittle...
  19. Old_Skl_Castr

i use Powerpro braid and Ande mono for salt and whatever i have on hand for fresh, right now its spiderwire braid and berkley?? mono
  20. Bassintheweeds

Can't tell you how many HUGE bass I've lost using spider wire.
  21. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 Redfish junkie

I spooled up with spiderwire once, and only once. I lost 3 reds in one day on that line and kept telling myself it was the way I tied it. It's powerpro or nothing for me now.